Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Week Recap: 2 to go

The closer we get to race day, the less exciting these recaps will become. That's not to say that any of these weekly rundowns have been particularly thrilling. With two to go, it's all about the taper.

Monday - Off completely. I got a massage instead and it was glorious.

Tuesday - Miles: 11 Course: Central Park Lower Loop. Workout: 2x1387.5 @ VO2Max. The workout actually called for three repeats, but Jerry pulled me out after I hammered out the first two a sub 5:00 mile pace. I was pretty much on my own for this one, and feeling fairly refreshed from the day off. I could have done three, but it was probably wise to make it an abbreviated effort.

Wednesday - Miles: 10 (6:44 pace) Course: West Side Highway. I ran to Harlem and back immediately following a disastrous day at work. I probably should have eased off the gas a little bit, but I had a lot of steam to blow off.

Thursday - Miles: 11.42 (6:56 pace) Course: Central Park. I had originally scheduled an AT Tempo for today, but when I got to Urban, all I needed was one minimally persuasive word of discouragement. My legs felt terrible when the run started, but got better as Josh, Kevin and I clicked off the miles.

Friday - Miles: 10.7 Workout: 3 mile warmup, 4 miles at AT tempot, 3 mile cooldown. Course: Central Park Lower Loop. Ten days prior to the race is the last day you can expect to gain any benefit from a workout, so I wanted to capitalize. I ran 3 miles to the park then launched into a challenging, but not draining pace. The miles were 5:36, 5:35, 5:38, 5:35 and all on the lower loop of the park. I ended up being too far away from the exit of the park so the cooldown went a little long. I actually stopped and walked home to prevent running too many miles.

Saturday - Miles: 10 (7:08 pace) Course: Brooklyn Bridge Loop. This was a pure recovery run. Very leisurely pace into Brooklyn and back.

Sunday - Miles: 13.18 (6:44 pace) Course: Central Park Bridle Trail. It really was the perfect day for an Easter long run. Didn't get out the door until 8:45 because of a late night at work on Saturday. Ran solo through the park with the ipod. Legs felt very fresh. Ice bath after the run.

No comments:

Post a Comment